I have to be..I mean that is the only explanation I can come up with.
Let me start at the very beginning. I don’t get all the things people do once they have kids. I scratch my head every time, thinking there has to be something I am missing. So here goes things I really truly don’t get.
- Mother’s day/Father’s day – Come either of these days, Facebook status are filled with ‘Happy Mother’s/Father’s day to the bestest Mom/Dad in the whole wide world’ and all I can do is laugh out loud. I mean is everyone the best Mom/Dad? I bet you are to your kid. But to someone other than you or your immediate family reading, that is an incorrect statement. They have their own bestest Mom/Dad. I mean if you want to celebrate the day, please by all means go ahead. Even go and wish the other person on Facebook. But at least think through what you are writing and how it will be perceived. Now we, D and I, don’t celebrate either of these days along with Valentines Day, Friendship day and all the other days in between. It does not even cross our mind to wish each other. We have our Birthdays and anniversary to celebrate, not some day made up by card company. So may be that’s why all this wishing and bestest look strange to me.
- Shoes – Shoes are advised against by doctors for kids who are learning to walk. Even a pair of socks are a no-no, as going bare feet helps the kids get a feel for walking and helps develop their muscles. But you see all these little ones wearing shoes, even newly born. I once even saw a little girl (less that 3 month old) who had flip-flops on. And I wonder why? Just because they are cute to look at?
- Hair clips – I see parents go overboard with not giving the kid this to eat or that, because it’s a choking hazard and then putting hair clips on little girls head, which to my mind are the biggest choking hazard there is. I mean, I have not seen a single kid who does not pull the clip out of her head and put it in her mouth. The clip is slender enough and small enough for the kid to swallow, but even worse are the small flowers or animals glued on the clips to make them pretty. Enough number of times the glue gets undone and what were to happen if the kid was to swallow the artificial flower or animal?
- Sunglasses – Now I know that kids sunglasses are oh so cute, but they are cheap glasses with no UV protective coating as with grown up glasses. So when the sun rays hit them, they are said to harm the delicate eyes of a young child. And yet we go on and prop sunglasses with a beetle and star on a babies face and then oh-ahh about it.
- Cake – Celebration of monthly Birthdays again leave me bewildered. I get that every month is special as far as the baby is concerned. But please don’t look at me funny when I don’t cut a cake every month for my baby. I cound not give her any cake in the begining, since she was not even allowed solids till she hits the 6 month mark. So to my mind the cutting of a cake to celibrate monthly Birthday was useless if she cound not have any. If you want to eat a cake, why make an excuse out of it? Just go ahead and have some. For me the first Birthday is the special one. The baby can now have some cake as well. So that is when a candle is put on a cake, the candle blown, the cake cut and the first bite goes to the baby. That to my mind is a perfect celebration.
- Gold – I see little (less than a month old) babies covered in gold. From bangles, to chain around the neck, to ear rings. I mean really, really?
- Toys – How many toys do you think are enough for a kid? From what I see with Buzz, a toy is interesting the first hour or so that she sees it. After which she plays with it once in a while, but not really. So how many do you buy. Something new every few days, just to keep the baby entertained? Of course I am a bad Mom because I don’t do the same. I just divide all the toys in 3 batches and rotate them every week or so. And they seem new to Buzz and she plays with them all for a few days at a time.
But then just as I shake my head at all of the above and so many more people shake their head at me. I seem to be the odd one out. I seem to be the one people don’t get. I seem to be the one people look at questioningly.
And I still don’t go ahead and do any of the above. I still stand my ground. So I think I really might be missing the maternal bone, for continuing to let my practical side rule over my Oh-aah Mommy heart.